Friday, August 2, 2013

Friday Night Treats: Italian Sausage and Peppers

So, here's how I got my inspiration for this one.  I was walking through the grocery store and saw a package of Tofurky sausages.  I was curious.  I read the ingredients and it seemed to be all things I was familiar with.  Now, prior to this experience, I was the kind of person who assumed that if it's not what it's supposed to be, then it's not real food or is make of manufactured materials.  And I still kind of am.  I would rather have butter than any kind of butter replacement.  I would rather have regular fat of a lot of foods that are "low fat" or "non fat" because the low and non fat versions typically contain lots of corn syrup or artificial sweeteners.  Now, it is true that Tofurky is processed food ( it doesn't grow like that anywhere), it is make from foods I recognize like soy protein, canola oil and spices.  No MSG, no anhylihyrdatic protectorant species this or that, no corn syrup, no aspartame, no nonsense.  Yes, it's weird at first but you could like it.  Like turkey bacon.  Way better than bacon.

Tofurky Sausage and Peppers
 This is a very simple recipe that I'm sure everyone has done before.

1 package of Tofurky Sausage
1 red pepper cut into chunks
1 yellow pepper cut into chunks
1 orange pepper cut into chunks
1 onion cut into chunks
1 can of tomato soup

 Gotta love the vintage 70s Crock Pot


Step One:  Brown the Tofurky sausage in a skillet with a small amount of olive oil and onions.

 Before...                                                                    and After.
Step Two: Add peppers, onion, tomato soup and Tofurky to a large crockpot, cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.

Step Three: Serve.  (I served mine over some whole wheat pasta)




 I know the biggest thing I was scared about was the Tofurky falling apart after being in the crock for so long.  It sorta did, but it worked.  The texture was the biggest thing to get used to.  It was not the snappy and solid texture of traditional pork sausage.  It's softer and more delicate, but once you get past that, it's pretty good.  It would make a really good sandwich too, if I had a whole wheat hoagie roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment