Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Mizuno Wave Rider 16

My new shoes.  Since I've gotten about 12- miles on them now, I figure it's time for a review.


When I walked into Breakaway Running to get new shoes, I was apprehensive.  I had never been fitted for shoes and had been loyal to Saucony.  I had a feeling I would leave with a different shoe.  But the experience was a pleasant one.  I tried on about a half dozen shoes after the beautiful man watched me walk back and forth in the store.  I started with the way too bouncy and cushiony pillows called Nike and moved the whole way to some Newtons that felt like walking on wood.  I decided for the slightly more forgiving Mizuno Wave Rider 16s.


I like a shoe with some padding, but not too much.  I like a shoe that's not bouncy because I run forward, not up.  I find the the Mizuno Wave Riders give me just that.  They don't have all that unnecessary padding on the top of your foot that makes you feel like you're wearing a pair of pillows, but have enough support underfoot that you know you're wearing shoes.

Inside
(See the wave in the heel?  That's the wave you're riding.)

Now, not everyone will agree with me.  I have a neutral stride and normal arches.  I don't need all the padding to correct that.  But I am a little overweight, so some padding is necessary to cushion my hips and knees against my 160 pound frame.  I find the Mizuno offers me just that.

Outside
(I love that their logo looks like a roadrunner.)

The first time I ran in them, I couldn't pace myself.  I just wanted to take off.  I felt like I had cruise control on and could go forever.  Great feeling.  I could feel the road beneath my feet, but it wasn't pounding and it wasn't painful.  Great ride.



As far as visual appeal, they are a flashy color, which I like, and they're solid, another plus.  I like flashy running shoes because it's like a badge of the trade.  Normal everyday footwear isn't going to be crazy and colorful, so your running shoes should be.  In the same respect, I am not a huge fan of the patchwork neon look.

 

Too much if you ask me.
Mizuno offers a compromise.  Bright and trendy color, but solid, so you don't look like a clown.

In my book, it's a good neutral, not too padded shoe.  Let's see if they make it through 2 half marathons.

No comments:

Post a Comment