Saturday, July 20, 2013

Scenic Saturday: Breakaway and Long Runs

Good morning!  I just completed my first group training run with Breakaway Running.  How did I find out about it, you ask?  I bought shoes.  On Monday, my mom took me to Breakaway Running in Midtown Memphis and I got fitted for a new pair of running shoes.

Aren't they beautiful? (I know, not the best picture. I'll give a better one when I do the full review)  

My first pair of Mizuno.  Before these, I was a die-hard Saucony fan, but the beautiful man at the running store opened my eyes.  After he fitted me for shoes, he gave me advice about socks, hydration and I walked out of the store with a whole new outfit.  And all for under $150.  Awesome.  Before I left, he told me that since I was training for the Road Race Series, that I should join Breakaway's Marathon/Half Marathon training runs on Saturday.  So I did.  I found the Facebook page for time and location info and headed off this morning.

The run started at 7am, and by then, in Memphis it was about 75 degrees and 100% humidity(don't believe me? check the Garmin stats at the bottom of the page).  There were tons of people and a great course.  It was motivating.  If I would have went out to do that run on my own, I would have stopped and walked, but the people around me were so motivating.  Breakaway even had a water stop halfway and people guiding you so you didn't get lost.  It was amazing!  Thanks Breakaway Running!

Okay.  So lets look at some stats.


See what I mean, 100% humidity!  

The big dip in my time about half way was the water stop.  I was proud of how well I paced.  I even got a negative split on the last mile (barely).  It was a good run, and I will definitely be joining them again next week.

As an end note, I started reading John Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals as inspiration to finish this series.  When I finish, I'll review it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment