Saturday, May 11, 2013

Scenic Saturday 5/11: Birthday Race!

This Saturday's run just happened to be a 5k on my birthday!  It wasn't a PR, but I did take 2nd place in my age group (and this time there were more than 2 people in my age group)!  Super excited!


^^ There's the proof! I had to out run 4 other people for my 2nd place medal, unlike my other 2nd place medal where there were only 2 of us.  Plus, by my math, I was in the top 40th percentile, which means I beat out more than half of the runners.  Another big accomplishment!  I'm still shooting to get my time under 30 minutes, but I think this was a job well done.

**** I'm going to add my medal picture as soon as it's uploaded to the 5k site****

I also was very well welcomed to the town. (though the results say I'm from Olive Branch, that's only because I registered that day) The people were so friendly to me (perhaps because I was wearing a "Birthday Girl" sash :) ).  So many people started conversations and told me happy birthday, even the emcee got involved, cracking 'birthday suit' jokes and making me stand and wave to everyone.  Many people would find that humiliating, but I love the recognition.  I want people to notice my accomplishments (call me a narcissist if you like).  Everyone was asking about my new digs as well:

I had the shirt custom made with my before picture on the front...


and a tally of my completed races on the back.


A conversation piece and a story.  I see so many people so serious about winning and placing.  I think they need the reminder that for some of us, just finishing is a victory.

After the race, I went to try and find the best cupcakes in Memphis.  I think I succeeded with Muddy's Bake Shop.  I was overwhelmed by the choice of delicious cupcakes, but I went with a chocolate cake and raspberry icing and a red velvet.  The wonderful girl behind the counter threw in a free cookie to boot! 


So delicious and moist.  The raspberry icing burst with flavor.  That cookie if you were wondering was called "Sweet and Salty," butterscotch chip with salt sprinkled on top. And the rich red velvet tasted like biting into a cheesecake.  (I think I may go into diabetic shock)  If you are ever in Memphis, check them out.  Best cupcakes in Memphis.

Tonight, its sushi till I burst (yay for mailing list birthday specials!) and a bit of singleton salsa dancing.  I'm nervous to go out dancing alone, but how am I going to meet anyone here if I don't put myself out there.  I have a boyfriend back home, so it makes me nervous to go out, but I've got to make some new friends.  I've just got to be cautious and try to have an amazing time!

No comments:

Post a Comment